10 Things Everyone Should Know About Arthritis
1. Roughly 50 million Americans have arthritis, making it the most common cause of disability in the United States.
2. There are more than 100 forms of arthritis and related diseases.
3. Kids get Arthritis Too! Approximately 300,000 children under the age of 18 suffer from this painful, often crippling disease.
4. There are fewer than 250 pediatric rheumatologists in the United States.
5. Walking 30 minutes a day can reduce the risk of getting some forms or arthritis.
6. Arthritis is the cause of nearly 10,000 deaths and 750,000 hospitalizations annually.
7. Nearly two-thirds of all doctor-diagnosed arthritis patients are under the age of 65.
8. By the year 2030, it is estimated that more than 67 million American adults will suffer from some form of arthritis.
9. There are many ways you can help. You can contribute directly to the Arthritis Foundation, you can register to participate in an upcoming Walk in your area, or you can help advocate for awareness and support by contacting your senators and representatives via the Foundation's Advocacy Center.
10. For every dollar donated to the Arthritis Foundation, 83 cents goes directly towards the funding of research and programming.